0. INTRODUCTION: THE STORY OF A VIEW OF A GOTHIC TEMPLE THAT MADE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH ARCHITECTURE



My interest in the Middle Ages started completely by accident, when I was 15.5 years old. In those years I was often visiting the municipal library of my hometown, Lamia, with a classmate. We loved getting lost in the corridors of this space of knowledge and wisdom and discovering new titles of interesting books.

 

One winter afternoon I saw a luxurious, illustrated book entitled "Architectural Treasures of the World" perched on a reading table. Until then I had nothing to do with architecture. Of course, I was always moved by the beautiful buildings, especially when surrounded by elegant outdoor spaces. However, I had never thought that I would like to deal with their design for the rest of my life. Besides, I used to like many different cognitive objects then.

 

So opening that big book on a random page, the first building I saw was a very impressive Gothic church. That was the moment I fell in love with architecture. The charming shape of the temple with its huge height, gutters, cruciforms and rosettes made my heart beat loudly. Then the first thing that came to my mind was that I would love to study architecture in the future. I would like to learn how to design beautiful buildings that would make people's hearts beat with joy.

 

I later had the pleasure to study the history of Medieval Art and Architecture with diligence and attention, close to excellent professors of the School of Architecture of the National Technical University of Athens and to learn many wonderful things about them. I must mention at this point the professor of History of Architecture of Medieval Times, Mrs. Georgia Marinou and the professor of History of Medieval Art, Mrs. Mary Aspra. Eventually I completed my studies in the art of the Middle Ages receiving an excellent grade from my beloved professors but mainly having acquired a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject.

 

So, since the Middle Ages were indirectly the reason I followed the architectural science and art in my life, I decided to make a separate blog here about what I know and what I continue to learn about this interesting period of human's history.

 

Of course, since the time I fell in love with Gothic buildings, I have loved all periods of the history of architecture and art, since I discovered their charm close to enlightened university professors.


Comments